3rd PIWI Summit on Monday, November 6th at 6 p.m. – the topics are in preparation.
The PIWI Summit will take place online again and in English.
The situation of PIWI genotypes in Portugal with Jorge Boehm Portugal
Maximum stomatal conductance rather than stomatal sensitivity to drought differentiates the PIWI grapevine cultivar Souvignier gris from Muscaris and Donauriesling with Lea Linhart AT
Third topic is still open ... will follow shortly.
Our second online PIWI Summit took place on Tuesday, May 30, 2023 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m (CET).
The PIWI Summit will be held in English language held, recorded and as script in the Members Area made available. Here you can also find the presentations from the 1st PIWI Summit.
1. Brave New Wines - The Potential of Fungus Tolerant Cultivars in the Tropics
Wolfgang Schäfer, Tropical Viticulture Consultats GmbH
- World Wide Vineyard Acreage in the Tropics: Asia, Africa, South America and Australia
- PiWi are a largely unexploited way of sustainable grape production in the tropics
- Experiences of some 10 years with 24 PiWi cultivars in Thailand
- Vegetation Cycles of early ripening PiWi cultivars: 3 Season & 2 Crops per yearwww.tropical-viticulture.com
2. Beyond the wine bottle: A look into pack innovation and how to leverage it!
Christina Schwörbel-Binn, marketing consultant
The keynote presentation will provide a brief overview of packaging innovation in the wine industry and highlight opportunities to put it to work for you.
Christina Schwörbel-Binn is a marketing professional with over 20 years of marketing and communications experience in international corporations. Self-employed since 2021, founder & managing director of Compagnie Crémant and freelance consultant for consumer-centered brand strategy and innovation across the Fast Moving Consumer Goods industry. Based in Berlin.
3. About classical resistance breeding and new grape varieties
Silvia Vezzulli, Fondazione Edmund Mach (FEM), San Michele all'Adige, Italy
- Historical backdrop
- Illustrative example of a PIWI grape variety by FEM
- Current challenges and processes, as well as the key players involved
- Letter glimpse into the future
Silvia Vezzulli has been working as a Senior Researcher at FEM since June 2022. Her research focuses on breeding and genetics, structural genomics, molecular biology, plant-pathogen interactions, and botany.
4. PIWI International: Development & Vision 2023 with transnational strategy
Diego Weber and Alexander Morandell
Conclusion: Discussions on the lectures and beyond.
First PIWI Summit – January 2023
The subjects and representatives
Plant Protection Measures in Changing Times – are we prepared for the Green Deal?
dr Wolfgang Häußler Winery 2H
→ Podcast by Diego Weber with Wolfgang Häußler on the subject - German
Best Practice – Red wine from PIWI-grapes –
Remo Räz – Winery Roland Lenz Switzerland (PDF)
VBUNG Technology – Vitalie Popa (PDF)
My name is Vitalie Popa (Winemaker/Inventor) and I would like to present VBUNG Equipment and VBUNG Technology to you.
VBUNG Equipment is a sustainable stainless steel bung that seals the Custom Wooden Barrel while maintaining control over oxidation, contamination and evaporation during making and/or aging Wine, Beer, Cider and Spirits. Laboratory and/or tasting samples can be taken out of the barrel using pressurized food grade N2 gas without oxidation, contamination and evaporation.
VBUNG Technology: No Added Additives and Preservatives during Aerobic and/or Anaerobic Maceration, Fermentation, Malolactic Fermentation and Aging under Continuous SAFE Positive and/or Negative Pressure with Sunlight in Custom Wooden Barrel with VBUNG Equipment.
→ Podcast by Diego Weber with Vitalie Popa – English