PAR® Quality test with 283 PIWI wines from 14 countries - increased average level - overall winner with 99 points comes from Switzerland
Frasdorf, October 2022 – An impressed PAR® It was the Certified Master Jury that selected the tasting room at the end of last weekend PIWI WINE AWARD INTERNATIONAL in Frasdorf, Bavaria. Because the high average level of this year's ranking exceeded all expectations: the percentage of Grand Gold and Gold ratings was 10 percent higher than in the previous year, and that without any changes to the tasting scheme or medal table. A total of 30 Grand Gold, 130 Gold, 90 Silver and 20 Recommendations were awarded. Overall winner with 99 points is the 2020 Divico AOC from the Florian Ramu winery on Lake Geneva in Switzerland. The telephone debriefing will take place on October 26th.
The top ratings per category
In addition to the overall winner from the Florian Ramu winery in Switzerland, the top scorers achieved:
- in the red wine category the 2015 Trülliker Regent AOC Zurich barrique from the Wylandblick winery in Switzerland with 98 points and Grand Gold.
- in the white wine category the 2017 Souvignier gris from the organic winery Veritas in the Morava region of the Czech Republic with 98 points and Grand Gold.
- in the dessert wine category the 2021 Heppenheimer Stemmler Souvignier Gris Ice wine from Bergstrasser Winzer eG on the Hessian Bergstrasse, Germany, with 98 points and Grand Gold.
- in the sparkling wine category the 2021 Johanniter Spumante Brut Nature from the Cantina Colli del Soligo in Treviso, Italy, with 97 points and Grand Gold.
- in the rosé wine category the 2021 Skäret from Kullabergs Vingård in the Swedish region of Skane with 96 points and Grand Gold.
- in the Qvevri category the 2020's REBELS from the Giannitessari winery in Veneto and the 2020 RUKH from the Nove Lune winery in Lombardy - both from Italy, both awarded 96 points and Grand Gold.
- in the liqueur wine category the 2018 Chalmberger wine liqueur Rondo from Chalmberger Weinbau in the Swiss Aargau.
Other Grand Gold PIWIs from the 2022 tasting come from Austria, Poland and Denmark, among others. The complete ranking can be found below winesystem.de/piwi-wine-award/results. By clicking on the PAR® Logo appears the respective data sheet for the wine.
High average level with a large stylistic range
With a 10 percent increase in Grand Gold and Gold, which corresponds to ratings of 90 to 100 points, it was PIWI WINE AWARD INTERNATIONAL 2022 a tasting with a pleasingly high overall level - and this despite the large differences between the vintages that climate change is now continuously bringing to winegrowers worldwide. It is probably also thanks to these climatic fluctuations that there is a great variety in terms of style.
WINE SYSTEM QUALITY INSPECTOR AND PAR® Certified Master Alexander Morandell: “A lot of experiments are currently being carried out in the large area between traditional craftsmanship and high-tech vinification. This does not necessarily make the quality check easier, but it does make it more exciting. For years, the modern, reductively developed, fruity styles set the tone, but the overall sensory picture is now becoming significantly more heterogeneous again. This is shown, among other things, by a look at the natural wine division, which does not require any addition of SO2 and produces some impressive qualities.”
WINE SYSTEM - Trust your Senses is with its three fields of activity consulting, training and PAR® Quality competitions since 1999 competent partner for winegrowers, retailers and trade visitors in the field of wine and sensor technology. The company has been managed by the board members Brigitte Wüstinger and Martin Darting since 2019 and has been organizing well-known quality competitions for wine for many years - including the ORGANIC WINE AWARD INTERNATIONAL, the WINE AWARD INTERNATIONAL, the PiGUNDY WINE AWARD INTERNATIONAL, the PIWI WINE AWARD INTERNATIONAL and many smaller competitions. The WINE SYSTEM database with over 40,000 items is the basis for the PAR rating system developed by Martin Darting®. It is valued in the professional world as a comprehensive information portal and serves as an important tool in many areas. www.winesystem.de
WINE SYSTEM – TRUST YOUR SENSES
Brigitte Wüstinger and
Tel. +49 8032-91633-20
WINE SYSTEM – TRUST YOUR SENSES Sonja Hartung
Tel. +49 8032-91633-0
Fax +49 8032-91633-49